Friday, December 4, 2009

Keeping Facebook

Great to hear from several folks in reaction to the last post in criticism of Facebook and similar media.  To confirm my flip-flopping non-alignment with the previous post-er =), here I'll share a Twitter bit in favor of using social media for the good of the gospel (thanks to Hannah for sending this to me!).  John Piper puts it eloquently:
Yes, there is truth in all of that, but instead of boycotting, try to fill these media with as much provocative, reasonable, Bible-saturated, prayerful, relational, Christ-exalting, truth-driven, serious, creative pointers to true greatness as you can.
I agree with Piper that not everyone is called to that-- it's for each person to work out how they will glorify God.  Not all of us should write books (or blogs!), any more than all of us should preach - or build buildings - or tend the sick - and so on.  I'll admit that some days when I log into facebook, my thoughts are centered on what a random person would perceive about me: what do my pictures and posts and interests and quotes say about me?  Those are days I'm not proud of; those are days I'd be better off writing a letter!  My hope is that the corrective is discipline, rather than amputation.  It's a discipline-- and a joy-- to exalt Christ and express love to my friends and acquaintances through various media.  I fondly think of a friend who, in reference to Christian responses to proliferating technologies, said that it seemed plausible that Jesus would have used a cell phone for its advantages-- and the Apostle Paul definitely would.

I think of that often in these fierce musings about whether we twitter or blog or call or email or send a status update.  I love the image of Paul with a cell phone, perhaps angrily pacing around while on the line with Corinth.  But it's true!  Paul thought it was vitally important to be in touch with the people he loved and the churches he had invested in.  As a man of integrity, he did what he could to minister to them over distances and through his sufferings.  Likewise, sorting through our menu of social outlets, will [facebook/ blackberry/ twitter/ etc.] advance our work and mission, or will it drag us down?  It's closely linked to questions of what it means to choose to live simply-- and to what end?  That's a much bigger discussion!

In the meantime, I'm content to do what I can, reaching people how I can-- with a patchwork of facebook and email, phone calls and meetings, skypes and texts and good old fashioned cards every now and then.  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch [by whatever means necessary]!

No comments:

Post a Comment