Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wor(l)d Map: the Global Church

A few months ago I received what seemed like a junk email from another missions organization.  I'm kind of a sucker, so I read it. (I don't know why, but I read almost every email.  Even when I know it's probably useless.)  They asked me to describe the global church in 2050 in one word, and they offered to send me the map they created with the results.  I got the map the other day, and I have to say, as a person who likes maps, really digs words, and cares deeply about the growing church worldwide, it's pretty great.

Caveat: I can't find any data on how precisely they represented the words on this map.  Most word maps of this sort follow the pattern of making the most commonly used (submitted) words larger and bolder in color.  I am assuming that the arrangement of words in particular places is not linked to their country of origin, but to artistic license.  I also wish I knew how many countries were represented in the making of the word map.  If you find answers to any of these questions, share a comment!

Even so, enjoy.  It's a fascinating, conversation-prompting piece.  And it's hopeful.  The way many of us talk about our churches, these are not the first words that come to mind.


GMI [Global Mapping International] is a faith-based nonprofit organization dedicated to furthering God's mission in the world through research, mapping and information technology services.

No comments:

Post a Comment