Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks in a Historically Based Sort of Way

The past couple of days, it's crossed my mind a few times to write a bit about Thanksgiving.  Not my list-- though I have plenty to be thankful for.  Not my plans-- they aren't terribly creative (turkey, potatoes, family, friends).  Not my diatribe about how you can't jump into the Christmas season until we've passed this critical juncture in November-- I don't think I'm winning that battle.  Rather, what I want to say on Thanksgiving is pretty simple:


Thank you.



I am thankful for those who knew this land (North America) and were willing to teach very strange, pale people how to survive in it.  I am grateful for this beautiful place that was cherished long before I got here. I am grateful for the legacy of Native North Americans, and I am grateful that racism and genocide did not have the final word in their history-- our history.  



Spurred on by words from Mark Charles, I want to thank those Americans who've been ignored and shut away for most of our national history.  Especially as a follower of Jesus and reader of the history of a persecuted people (in the Bible), I join in mourning and prayer for renewal of indigenous populations. I offer thanks for undeserved generosity and welcome in this land.  Especially on Thanksgiving, I choose to remember things that would be easier to forget, people who have been told they are unwanted and forgotten, circumstances that make it hard for many to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment