Thursday, May 6, 2010

Godly Cancellations

I took a chunk of time on Tuesday for prayer, study and reflection, and one of the driving factors (other than the fact that those are all good things to do) was that I wanted to be more in tune with God's direction for my days.  I like to work hard and be productive, and as a result I am very capable of filling a schedule until I feel busy and accomplished.  I've done much too good a job of this lately. 

In the two days since, plans and meetings have cancelled right and left, and it's been beautiful.  That's right: beautiful.  Though I am sad that I didn't get to see 5 or 6 wonderful people, each cancellation opened me to something else, and in that, God gave me joy and freedom.

For example, on Thursdays I have a weekly meeting at the doughnut shop around the corner with a college student I'm helping to prepare for a summer in Mexico City.  I had done reading and prepared some scripture study in Amos for that meeting, and so I could have been grouchy when a text came through saying he wouldn't make it -- feeling sick.  Instead, there was a sense of openness, like , Okay, how will this morning go now?

It went by tackling a few little projects, having a fantastic conversation and time of prayer with a roommate, and slowing down the pace of the rest of my day.   Mmmm.  As much as I would have savored a string of meetings and "tasks accomplished," this is sweeter.

May God bring you the pace that you need and the peace that you seek, today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment