Monday, September 28, 2009

Setting Out and Keeping Going


"Missionary work is like a pair of sandals that have been given to the Church in order that it shall set out on the road and keep on going to make known the mystery of the gospel."
-Johannes Blauw


Some of you join me anew, while others have been "on the road" at my side for years now.  Regardless, we are here, right?  It has been my honor and privilege to walk with dear companions for the past few years, travelling in North and South America, working in non-profits and churches (and a few agricultural patches), praying, discerning, and letting God be my one true home.  In that journey, certain things have clearly emerged from my cluttered talents and discernment static: 
  • I am often most fully alive when at the margins of this world-- surrounded by doubts and hopes and parties and tragedies; in places forgotten, ignored, avoided; among people called "poor", oppressed, blessed, or beautiful. 
  • God keeps calling me back to the Church: to know and love and speak with God's people.
What would it mean to love the Church AND help the Church to love the world?
THAT is part of the question that launched me to the Urban Mosaic team within Church Resource Ministries (CRM).  There, I found others in ministry to the Church in North America.  There, I found people who could guide me into this kind of work.  There, I found encouragement and affirmation for my skills and passions of working with non-profits and churches, of coordinating, administrating, and building bridges among the body of Christ.  And God nudged me THERE, to a team of kingdom-dreamers in San Diego, California.

Working with Urban Mosaic enables me to build relationships and invest in Christian leaders committed to mission in the complexity of an urban setting. Thinking creatively and offering support through group trainings, friendship, counseling and prayer, my hope is to equip individuals and groups to work for the transformation of their community into a place where justice rolls like a river, and righteousness like a never-failing stream (Amos 5:24). Particularly in San Diego, there is the opportunity to encourage people to work together from numerous churches and backgrounds—and even across national borders. I look forward to participating in ongoing ministries in San Diego/ Tijuana, getting to know the people, churches, gifts and needs of that region. In sum, I will TEACH about God’s heart for mission and the city, ENCOURAGE those who are already putting together pieces of knowing and serving Jesus in their context, and PARTICIPATE in ministries of compassion and justice in San Diego.  All with the hope and prayer for the Church to BE the Church.

That's still a big picture, one that I hope will come into focus with posts to come!  In the meantime, the task that stands immediately before me is that of gathering the prayer and financial support that will sustain me in this ministry.  I have already raised over half of the needed $3,700-per-month (for salary and ministry expenses) and gathered a number of prayer partners; would you consider whether God might be leading you to join me in this work?
    • PRAYER - please contact me and/ or keep an eye on this blog for ways to pray.
    • FINANCES -
      • I am praying for:  10 new monthly donors, giving $100 a month;
          • for : 15 new monthly donors, giving $25-50 a month;
          • and for: lump-sum annual and one-time gifts
      • Simply request materials by mail or e-mail, or donate online.
    • CONNECTIONS - do you know someone else who would be inspired/ excited/ intrigued by what God is doing in this ministry?  Help us meet one another!
    • [CONTACT] - Get in touch with me: LaLee7(at)gmail(dot)com.   
I am excited to share more with you individually and "globally" as we connect (steps above) and as this blog takes shape-- more to come on how it will be a part of bridging service, reflection, self and supporters.  Thank you for stepping onto this road with me.  It is a deep honor and a vibrant joy to venture onward with you!

-Laura Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment